April is National Records and Information Management Month. This month emphasizes the importance of maintaining your records efficiently and safely. Today, companies are producing an overabundance of records. As a result, companies need to have a document management strategy to protect, preserve and manage their records. The following tips will help guide your company to a successful records management strategy.
6 Tips to Properly Manage Your Records
- Assign a Point Person – Recruit a person or team responsible for the policies, procedures, and execution of a records management strategy in your organization.
- Establish Security Protocols – Security is the most crucial part of a document management strategy to ensure records are secure. Therefore, it is important to establish procedures that include training and assigning someone with authority to access records and implement security measures.
- Be Compliant– According to ARMA, the biggest struggle with businesses is determining which records should be retained or transferred to meet state and federal requirements. Furthermore, every industry has different sets of rules to follow. Some businesses lack a clear understanding of the compliance regulations— ARMA Magazine provides a summary of rules per industry. Make sure you research your industry’s requirements.
- Reduce Paper Records – Use a professional file scanning company or software to convert your paper records to a digital format. By doing this, your company can free up important office space. In addition, converting files to digital secures critical data, and files can be easily and quickly accessed. The benefits of using a professional document scanning company like Shark Shredding, we do all the work for your company. Firstly, it frees up wasting valuable time looking for records and duplicating them. Secondly, it allows your company to keep all documents organized electronically for immediate retrieval. Plus, you can then properly destroy the scanned documents with secure shredding.
- Securely Store Your Records – Does your business have piles of boxes and overloaded file cabinets crammed in storage closets? Or, facing the challenge of having to retain original paper formats to be compliant. If so, then managing and storing these valuable assets in a safe, organized facility is important. The solution is to use an off-site records storage facility. Consequently, off-site records storage is a simple and secure solution to clear out office space, and safely store and retrieve paper documents.
- Shred Old Documents – Paper shredding safely destroys sensitive documents that could fall into the wrong hands. In addition, it reduces paper clutter in the office. Whether it is recurring off-site shredding or a one-time purge, shredding should be a part of your records and document management plan. Without a paper shredding strategy in place, you’re leaving your records vulnerable to theft. Additionally, it opens up your organization to liability should a security breach take place.
Shark Shredding understands the importance of protecting your confidential data and why your business must have a Records and Information Management plan in place. It will protect your company from identity theft, organize and manage your records. Find out how Shark Shredding can help your company with shredding and document management.